Sunday 4 July 2010

Happy 4th


So here I am watching CSI Sunday on 5 USA, it's my viewing of choice on a Sunday night. It got me to thinking, here's the result.
I would like to give a shout out to say happy 4th July to all American craft brewers, breweries, beer people, beery people.
Suffice to say the first time I came across an American beer it was Budweiser and I thought it was shit, guess I was right!
It somewhat prejudiced my opinions of American beers, like the prejudices of thousands of people out there who think that all American beer is shit.
The first time I tasted an American craft brew was when I was working at The Crown and Greyhound in Dulwich Village, it had just been installed, it was Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, I was blown away, I had never tasted hops like it, I don't remember the year but it can't have been more than 5 years ago, I have been mad on hops ever since.
My next big revelation was going to The White Horse's American Beer Festival, this was two years ago, just before I joined Utobeer.


I haven't looked back since then, safe to say that some of my favourite beers are American, they include the ever consistent Goose Island IPA, I had the pleasure of meeting Brewmaster Greg Hall at The Rake, he even graciously signed the 'brewers wall', our little wall of fame.
Other favourites include Stone Ruination, 21st Amendment Brew Free or Die IPA, Bear Republic's Racer 5 IPA, Great Divide Titan IPA, Odells St Lupulin, I could go on but I'd only be boring you with my favourite beers and I know you have your own.
I would like to point out that it's good to see brewers in Britain starting to get on the craft beer bandwagon, if you're going to jump on one it might as well be a worthwhile one!
So Hats off also to the following breweries who are pushing the boundaries of craft brewing this side of the pond that I have had the pleasure of dealing with, Otley, Brewdog, Lovibonds, Hardknott, Kernel. It's been a pleasure that I am proud to say that I have helped bring to the UK, I urge more pubs and bars to 'get crafty' and stock some of the best that the USA has inspired.
So America, thank you, for your imagination, your innovation and your passion.
Happy 4th of July!

1 comment:

Thomas said...

Mike got me a bottle of Stone Arrogant Bastard Ale which we shared and that was the one which spoke volumes to me about American craft ale. I think that was in 2008 but it was sometime ago. He knew my face from Utobeer. I am used to buying Belgian quads and micros and German largers and rauncbier but that stuff blew my mind.