Friday 8 July 2011

An IPA a Day #1

So in celebration the first Annual IPA Day I'm doing one a day for your pleasure with the final ten days being my top ten IPA's.
Are you sitting comfortably? Then I'll begin....
About 18 months ago a local homebrewer who used to sell cheese in Borough Market decided that it was time to go proffessional and so a legend was created.
Evin O'Riordan, Brewer/Owner of Kernel Brewery has one of the most recognisable brands in London now with the plain brown labels merely stating what style of beer is in the bottle and which hops were used in that batch.
So which batch have I enjoyed the most? Well I'm the first to hold my hand up and say I've not had all of them but I've had enough to know that my favourite so far is the IPA made with S.C.C.A.NS. to the uninitiated that's the Simcoe, Citra, Columbus, Apollo and Nelson Sauvin hops that were used in the making of this mmasterpiece.
Tasting notes for this wonderful creation are as follows. On the nose there's definite citrus, hard to be more specific, maybe Grapefruit and Lemon, there's also Mango in there too. To taste is to rise into a temporary Nirvana and forget the world below you, it's more tropical fruit, Mango, Peach and Oranges are there but there's a nice dryness to it which quenches the thirst and leaves you wanting another sip. At 6.8% abv it's a nicely balanced treat for your tastebuds!

No comments: